Monday, December 28, 2009



I promised to write about the resort I stayed at in Negombo. Now let it be know that I am not resort person, I really don't like the idea of being confined to a place for a duration of time with activities organised for my enjoyment. Because it transpired that we couldn't go to Jaffna, I had to decide what I wanted to do on my last three days in Sri Lanka as I had had enough of Colombo. My dad suggested that I should go to Negombo as the beaches were nice and the airport was close by. He was correct that the airport was close by but the beaches were not much different to the beaches in PD. Anyone who has been to PD will confirm that the beaches are at best mediocre. In any case, I ended up staying at the Jetwings Blue Oceanic Resort which at $82 per night was not really value for money. Now I know $82 isn't a huge amount of money but for this price I expect my room to be clean. I was convinced some sort of animal had had a wee on the sofa in the room and the sheets just didn't feel quite right. The view was fine as you will see from the photos but the hassle from the beach sellers made relaxing a little difficult. The deck chairs often has crow poop everywhere and it was almost impossible to get someone to bring you a towel or a drink. I probably sound like a diva right now but I don't care. I guess I expected a lot more. Ultimately what I learnt was that I should avoid resorts at all costs because they really are not my thing. I don't understand how tourists can come and spend 10 days in the same place, eating the same food, lying by the pool or on the beach and not actually going out to do anything or see anything. Holiday hell!

No comments: