Sunday, January 31, 2010

Oh hmm so I am in Brunei. Several of my friends have confused Brunei with Bahrain which is fairly understandable. Both are oil rich and absolute monarchies (spelling ?). However one is in the Middle East and the other sits prettily on the island of Borneo. Despite the fact that it's in Borneo and therefore has lush landscapes and the South China Sea, Brunei has the same air of emptiness that Bahrain has. An almost nothingness which I find fascinating having grown up in wildly vibrant Malaysia. In Bahrain you can almost understand it, the landscape doesn't help but in Brunei? Brunei shares a similar cultural heritage to Malaysia and whilst it isn't as multicultural as my great nation, it does have small minority groups which should add something to the already interesting Malay culture. So what is Brunei's problem? Personally I think it's because it's a dry state but then I might be horribly wrong. I was amused though when I saw a young boy of about 15 wearing a t-shirt that said I Love Beer. I wonder if it's a similar scenario to seeing an unknowing Chinese girl walking around with t-shirt that says I'm Horny. So, I am hoping that my opinion of Brunei will change. I'll be out and about a bit more tomorrow, so maybe I'll see something that might change my mind.

No comments: